Instead of throwing them out, I decided to use them to make a tinted lip balm.
What you'll need
An empty pot - I found an old lip balm pot, scraped out the lip balm and washed out the pot to use.
A small bowl
Optional extra - coconut oil
1. Scrape some Vaseline into the pot
2. Using the spoon, cut off the top of the lipstick - you can vary the amount you use depending on how much colour you want
3. Add the lipstick to the pot and mix together using the end of the spoon
4. Pour some boiling water into the small bowl, and immerse the pot (after you've put the lid back on!) in the boiling water. If you are under 16, please ask an adult to help you! You may need to hold the pot down in the water.
5. After a few minutes, take the pot out of the water. The mixture should have softened by now, so you can mix it again to make it smoother and even. If you wish, you can add coconut oil (this is beneficial for dry lips) into the mixture.
6. Place the pot into the freezer for 20-30 mins to allow to harden.
This is a very simple way to utilise unwanted lipsticks. I've added a few photos to show you how I've done it.
The lipstick, prior to destruction. It's a peachy pink that doesn't suit me that well. Bare Escentuals i.d Lipstick in 'Couture'.
Vaseline + lipstick mixed together before being put in water